A Day In The Life Of A Domestic Engineer. Er, Uh, A Housewife.

There are two versions of my life. One in which I have a ridiculously busy schedule with no free time to myself and one in which I have absolutely nothing to do to the point of boredom induced tears. The funny thing is that no matter the version, the activities involved in either are generally the same.  Today, for example, was a combination of both versions.

As every Monday through Friday, my human alarm clock (aka husband) woke me up at 6:15am. I then proceeded to shower, have my shower interrupted by a newly potty trained 2 year old who needed his butt wiped, get dressed, brush my teeth, put in my contacts, comb my hair and finally apply an ever so modest amount of makeup. Me time was up. It was 7 am.

As every Monday through Friday, I came down stairs to two beautiful, morning people boys who were watching Phineas and Ferb in their pajamas. “Good morning guys, how did you sleep? Did you have good dreams?”  “Yes mom.” Said Parker before being interrupted by Theo, who at full speed said, “I had a dream about Mario and Luigi and Bowzer and Peach and Yoshi and we were all racing to marry Peach (the boys are obsessed with getting married. they think it’s funny and absurd and disgusting. typical boys) and then I won and I MARRIED HER! Bahahahahaha.” At this point Parker was cracking up too. I asked what they’re having for breakfast and as usual it’s bagels and English muffins with peanut butter and cream cheese and bananas and blueberries.  Oh, and cherry juice and orange juice. They like to make me get 8 ingredients out for 2 people.  Once the boys were up to the table, I packed a lunch (my.absolute.least.favorite.part.of.motherhood.), got clothes out, made beds, drank a cup of coffee, put away the dishes from the dishwasher ran last night, put toothpaste on toothbrushes, and started my first load of laundry for the day.  When they were done, I wiped the table, checked my email (okay, okay… facebook) and got coats and shoes out. I combed hair and sprayed cologne (yes, cologne for my 5 year old – hey! It’s Spiderman cologne!) We got our coats on and headed out the door on our way to drop Parker off at school. It was 8:15am.

As every Monday through Friday, I hugged and kissed my big boy and then froze as I waited outside of the car until he was all the way in the building. He often turns around to wave one last time and I like to make sure that he can see me wave back.  I hopped in the car, cranked the heat and answered no to Theo’s daily question of “Do we have to go to any stores today?” I came home, threw the laundry in the dryer and started the towels. Got Theo his snack (yes, it’s 8:25 and Theo is having his first snack) and started on my project for the day – a reframed Josh wall of fame. You heard me right. A Josh wall of fame.

Now, up to this point (minus the Josh wall of fame work) this is my EVERY day. If I decide to rewrite this post in three weeks on a Tuesday, the only thing that may be different is Theo needing his butt wiped. But the continuance of today was a special occasion. It was the 100th day of Kindergarten – which meant that I was going back into the school to volunteer for the big party. After about an hour of making Fruit Loop necklaces (100 pieces each!) with a bunch of adorable and hilarious 5 and 6 year olds, Theo and I came home to have a lunch of soup and apples with peanut butter.  I finished the laundry and put it all away, ripped out a few new recipes from Food Network Magazine, took the nail polish off of my nails, wrote a portion of an article that I’m contributing to a newsletter, did “homework” with Theo and watched Nate Berkus.  We played lego’s for a while and then headed back out to the school to pick up Parker. After bringing Theo back home to stay with Josh, Parker and I headed off for his 3:30 art class at the library. While Parker did his project, I spent the hour reading. We left at 4:30 and went home but only to allow me to drop Parker off with Josh, bring in the new shelf that was delivered and head back to the school for a Community Appreciation dinner that I had been invited to attend for volunteering at the school.  Luckily, a good friend came with me (Becky, if you’re reading, can you imagine who I would’ve sat with had you not come? The guy with the weird hat? Was he a Mason?) and we awkwardly ate a decent spaghetti and meatball dinner while being  photographed by accident due to where we sat.  Afterwards, I came home, helped clean up lego’s, tried my new shelf out on different walls before I decided that I don’t like it and will return it, gave some squeezes to my boys, hugged and kissed them goodnight and realized that tonight was yet again another night that I probably wouldn’t  force myself to go to the gym.  Oh well, Idol’s on.  I came downstairs, blogged a little, tidied the place up and sat down to enjoy some tv with my love.  Of course bedtime came too soon at 10pm and it was time to hit the sack so that I could start all over again in the morning.

Is there a climax in my day? If this day were to be made into a movie, at what point would the audience jump, scream, laugh, cry, etc?  I lived through this day and I can’t even tell you where that point is. But I can tell you that Theo’s made up dream, and the Kindergarteners’ giggles, and Parker’s finished artwork, and the sweet, if not a bit too sappy, appreciation speech given by the Principal, and the laughs we shared as Josh and I made fun of televised first time parents, and yes, even my finished Josh wall of fame, made me happy. All of this mundanity adds up to exactly the life that I want.  And while it’s beyond easy to lose the importance of what I do every day, I always remind myself that in 30 years my boys (Joshy poo included) will feel the impact that I made on their lives, just by staying home.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s